Monday 10 September 2012

This week....

Apart from going back to school and the usual daily chores, I haven't been up to much. You see I haven't had time recently to visit my craft room, finish my knitting or sew my patchwork hexagons because I have a new obsession......preserving.

It's the thrill of making something out of nothing. Blackberries in the hedgerows, a bag of windfall apples from a friend, a fruit and veg garden needing to be house sat, mums greenhouse tomatoes.....all free! Now I have instead, Blackberry and Apple conserve, Plum and Lime jam, Rhubarb, Pear and Ginger jam, Chinese Plum Sauce, Tomato and Roasted Pepper chutney and Spiced Plum and Apple chutney.

Come join the revolution, snub the supermarket Blackberries, laugh in the face of pre-packed apples, wave your wooden spoons in the air, rattle your preserving pans and shout YAY! for jam, chutneys, sauces, relish and pickles:)

4 comments:

  1. I'm in! I'm in! We picked blacberries at the weekned. There's nothing else quite like it is there? Your photos are lovely - all Country Living-y

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you Alana. I have a very old preserving book of my grandma's, i often pick it up and think i'm going to do this...but it never seems to happen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louse, you really must try it. Jamming is very easy as long as you have a thermometer:) though my chutneys I will have to wait and see if they are a success as they need to mature a while:)

      Delete
  3. That just looks sooooooo good....thinking crumbles already :)

    ReplyDelete